Friday, November 03, 2006

Amelia Peabody's Egpyt: a Compendium

I have been looking for an excuse to buy this book for some time, and when I was invited to do a "Lunch and Learn" on the Amelia mysteries for two of our libraries, I had it! This is a fascinating and delightful companion to the Amelia Peabody mysteries, which started with "Crocodile on the Sandbank." It is a mix of fiction and fact and I wish I had had the volume during my reading of the mysteries over the past 30 years. (They were perfectly delightful reading, anyway, however!) There are glossaries, excerpts from Emerson's journal (perfectly in keeping with Emerson), histories of the British in Egpyt, Victorian times, archaeology in Egypt, Egyptian history, biographical information about Egyptians of ancient and more modern times, archaeologists, the places of Egpyt....a helpful compantion to the Amelia mysteries.

No comments: